Dr. Kattesh V. Katti MSc.Ed, PhD, DSc, FRSC;
Director, University of Missouri Cancer Nanotechnology Platform
Curator's Professor of Radiology and Physics, Senior Research Scientist,
University of Missouri Research Reactor
301 Business Loop 70 W
103 Alton Building
Columbia, MO 65212 USA
Telephone: (573) 882-5656; Fax: (573) 884-5679
Dr. Kattesh V. Katti is an outstanding leader with sustained international acclaims for his research contributions through interdisciplinary approach, involving basic sciences and engineering, with a focus on biomedical sciences. In recognition of his sustained stellar scientific contributions and ground breaking inventions in chemical, engineering, biomaterials, green nanotechnological and nano-biomedical sciences, Dr. Katti has been awarded a number of international awards and citations which include: ’25 Most Influential Scientist In Molecular Imaging in the World, ‘Father of Green Nanotechnology’ citation, for his work on Green Nanotechnology, by the Nobel Prize Winner Norman Borlaug, Gauss Professorship from the Gottingen Academy of Sciences, ‘Outstanding Missourian award by the Missouri House of Representatives, and Outstanding Scientists Fellows award and Fellow of the Academy of Science award by the St Louis Academy of Science—one of the oldest scientific/engineering academies of the world and, many more. Dr. Katti is currently serving as a Curators’ Professor of Radiology, Physics, Biological Engineering, Margaret Proctor Mulligan Distinguished Professor of Cancer Research and a Senior Research Scientist at the University of Missouri Research Reactor. He is the Director of NCI-funded University of Missouri Cancer Nanotechnology Platform and founding Co-Director of the University of Missouri Nanoparticle Production Core Facility.
His leadership in the field of Nanoscience, Green Nanotechnology, and Nanomedicine have positioned University of Missouri as one of only 12 Centers of Excellence for establishing a Cancer Nanotechnology Platform recognized by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health for both basic and clinical translational work in the field of Nanomedicine. His unprecedented discovery of the production of gold nanoparticles using Soy, Tea, Cumin, Cinnamon and various herbs, plants and fruits, through 100% green processes have been cited as the Editor’s choice in Science, Popular Science, the Discovery Channel and have been highlighted in scientific/medical programs of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC, London). Dr. Katti has pioneered the production of ‘Super Enzymes’ which find applications in the production of biofuels—a practical source of renewable alternate energy.
Mission Statement: Dr. Katti's research is focused on unraveling fundamentals of science and apply those principles and concepts to developing new chemical species at the macro and nano scales. In the nanodomain, he is interested in exploring chemical, biophysical, magnetic and photophysical properties, that are unique to specific nanoparticulates, toward the design and development of sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic agents. Targeted nanoparticles are being utilized in the detection of diseases at the cellular/sub cellular levels while radiochemical and X ray absorption properties of gold nanoparticles, embedded selectively within tumor cells/sites, are being applied for effective therapy of breast, liver, lung, oral, prostate and pancreatic cancers. Drug discovery approaches are built around clinical translation motif as Dr. Katti strongly believes that discoveries should translate into value added products to ultimately serve humanity.
Green nanotechnology is at the focal point of Dr. Katti's approach to pursuing research in nanotechnology as he strongly believes in the total elimination of toxic chemicals either for the synthesis or as byproducts in the production of engineered nanoparticles. Toward this end, phytochemicals occluded within plants, herbs or from various sources from mother nature are being used in developing 100% green processes for the development of nano constructs for use in a plethora of medical, agricultural, hygienic and technological applications.
Awards and Recognitions:
Dr. Katti has won numerous national/international awards and recognitions:
• Kattesh V. Katti, elected as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS); Breakthroughs in Chemistry and Nanomedicine Earn MU Researcher Election to AAAS
• Dr. Katti was bestowed with the Doctor Science (DSc) award from the Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences (SHIATS), Naini, Allahabad, India;
• Kattesh V. Katti, Inducted as a Fellow into the prestigious Academy of Science; St. Louis Academy of Science Fellow
• Dr. Katti has been bestowed with the 2011 Presidential award from the University of Missouri System; the system’s highest honor, for excellence in teaching, research, service and economic development; Dr. Katti wins the 2011 Presidential Award for Economic Development
• Outstanding Missourian Award by the Missouri House of Representatives; Legislative Update
• Most Influential Scientist in Molecular Imaging in the world by rt image; 25 Most Influential Scientists in Molecular Imaging
• Outstanding Scientist Fellows Award by the St Louis Academy of Science;
• Distinguished Curators Professorship Award by the Curators of the University of Missouri; Curators' Professorship
• Dr. Katti's Invention on Green Nanotechnology has been selected as one of the top 10 inventions of 2010; Bioresearch's Press Release
• Planet Earth Features Dr. Katti's Discovery on Cinnamon Phytohemicals Process for the production of Gold Nanoparticles; Planet Earth's Article
• Dr. Kattesh V. Katti's Nanomedicine research has been cited by the President of India in his Inaugural Speech at the Global Nanoscience Initiatives on March 16 2006 in New Delhi, India; President's Citation
• DSC from Karnataka University, India (2009); DSc Award
• Gauss Award by the Gottingen Academy of Sciences, Germany;