Peter G. Klein | Resources for
[Last updated: 28 January 2014]
Statistical packages and resources
Tex and LaTeX
Writing, speaking, and listening
- Ezra Zuckerman, "Tips
to Article Writers"
- Eric Rasmusen, "Aphorisms on Writing, Speaking, and Listening," Working Paper, Indiana University, September 29, 2003.
- Words and phrases to avoid (1, 2)
- The Economist magazine's style guide (many useful writing tips)
- William Thomson, "The Young Person's Guide to Writing [Mathematical] Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Literature 37 (1999):157-83.
- Simon Peyton Jones, "How
to Write a Good Research Paper and Give a Good Research Talk"
- Dick Langlois's Notes on Writing
- The EconPhD meta-site
- A set of resources compiled by Greg Mankiw
- Prospective PhD students should consider Mike Moffatt's advice (don't miss the links in the right-hand column). And here are Tyler Cowen and Bryan Caplan with their advice.
- How to publish in top journals
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, "The Young Economist's Guide to Professional Etiquette," Journal of Economic Perspectives 6 (1992): 169-79.
- David Colander and Arjo Klamer, "The Making of an Economist," Journal of Economic
Perspectives 1 (1987): 95-111.
- David Colander, The Making of an Economist Redux," Journal of Economic Perspectives 19, no. 1 (2005): 175-98.
- William Thompson, A Guide for the Young Economist (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2001).
- "You and Your Research," a 1986 lecture from former Bell Labs researcher Richard Hamming on the abilities, traits, work habits, attitudes, and philosophies of the great scientists.
- George W. Ladd, "Artistic Research
Tools for Scientific Minds," American Journal of Agricultural
Economics 1, no. 1 (February 1979): 1-11.