Director, Graduate Interdisciplinary Minor in International Development,
Graduate School, MU
INTERDISCIPLINARY MINOR IN INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
All graduate students at MU, regardless of department, are eligible to work toward the Interdisciplinary Minor in International Development. Students who complete the Minor successfully will have this noted on their transcripts and be awarded a Certificate in International Development.
The requirements for acceptance and completion of work for the Minor are as follows:
1. The student must be enrolled as a Master's Degree or Ph.D. candidate
in good standing at MU.
2. A formal request to be included in the Minor must be made in advance of taking courses, to the Director, Assistant Professor Corinne Valdivia, 213B Mumford Hall. This request should be approved by the student's advisor. A copy will be sent to the Graduate School.
3. Once the student is admitted to the Minor, he/she should seek advisement from the Director and his/her advisor concerning which courses to take.
4. The student must satisfactorily complete a total of twelve credit hours in courses dealing with Third World Development. At least six of the twelve hours must be taken in at least two departments outside the student's home department.
5. Foreign language courses are not required, but students who are not fluent in a second language are strongly encouraged to take intensive language courses to develop competency. Credit or language courses does not count toward the twelve hours of credit required for the Minor.
6. When the required twelve hours of credit are completed from approved courses, the student's advisor should inform the Director who will in turn inform the Policy Committee which governs the operation of the Minor. This should be done in advance of the student's orals to give members of the Policy Committee an opportunity to sit in on the Examining Committee if they so desire.
7. The certificate is only awarded after all departmental and Graduate School requirements for the advanced degree have been satisfied. An overall grade point average of 3.0 is required for the twelve hours within the Minor.
For more information on the program and application forms please visit http://gradschool.missouri.edu/resres/topic/intdev.htm or email
Corinne Valdivia, Director
in International Development